|About Us | Newcomers | Children & Youth | News & Events | Get Involved | Contact Us |||Home|
We worship together on Sundays.
Read sample sermons from the recent past here: www.uniteduuc.org/sermons.php
We scatter and nurture seeds of spirit, service, and community.
We envision a large progressive religious community, growing in spirit and in service.
As a congregation:
The United Unitarian and Universalist Society of Mukwonago was founded in 1877. It was one of the first in the country to unite Unitarians and Universalists into one society.
The three men who founded the village of Mukwonago in 1836 -- Sewell Andrews, Martin Field and Henry Camp -- were of the Unitarian and Universalist faiths. When these New England 'Yankees' arrived here it was still a Native American village. They stayed to settle the village of Mukwonago.
Forty years later, two of the men were still living and helped to build our original church. Andrews was a Universalist and Field was a Unitarian. Thus the two denominations joined together in one endeavor eighty years before the Unitarians and Universalists formally merged, in 1961.
The Yankee settlers of Mukwonago liked to build churches that resembled the churches of New England and New York State. The Baptist church across the street was of the same style, and so was a third church, Congregational, on Main Street, corner of Blood Street. All three white frame churches had steeples which were struck by lightening and taken down. Of the three, only our original church still stands. In 1987 it was placed on the National Register of Historic Places (the only other building so designated in Mukwonago is the Andrews house on the square, now the Mukwonago Museum).
In 2007, in keeping with our mission and vision, we as a congregation determined that our lovely old building was no longer an adequate home for us. We were gratified to find another church group as a buyer. In May of 2007, the building was purchased by the Episcopal Church of the Resurrection.
We purchased a building in Waukesha and in making this move to a new area, we feel a renewed bond with our pioneering founders.
See the Contact Us page for a list of staff and lay leaders.
We are a UUA Welcoming Congregation.